Arriving In England

After a long awaited 324 days since I found out I was selected to study in England , I am glad to say I finally made it to the University of Nottingham.  Overall, I have to say it was a very smooth sailing trip. Not even a single delay, which came as a surprise, because I have terrible luck flying internationally.

I definitely was jet legged at first as it is a 8 hour difference from Oregon, so that took some getting use to both in adjusting my sleeping schedule and in figuring out times to talk to family and friends back home. I been here a few weeks now though, so I think I finally got the hang of it. 

A selfie of me and two other girls siting at the airport waiting for our flight to take off.
Waiting for our Plane.

I arrived in England to the typically English weather of clouds, rain and cold weather, but after the heat we endured this summer in Oregon, I am not complaining about a little cold. I am very happy about it.

It truly is gorgeous here especially the country sides we drove through on the bus ride to the University of Nottingham from the airport. Since arriving however, I have realized it’s only rained a couple times and, typically, it’s been sunny and in the 50s, if we are taking Fahrenheit or in the 10s, if we are talking Celsius. Therefore, I have been able to walk around the town of Nottingham quite a bit to soak up beauty of temporary home for the next few months. England really is gorgeous and full of history.

The outside of a gorgeous 16th century country house. The house is tan in color, about 4 stories high and has lot of windows. The house is now a museum.
Wollaton Hall

A photo of 1 deer standing and 3 laying in the lush grass with a couple of trees behind them and a party cloudy sky above.
Deer Park

When people ask why I choose England out of all the study abroad opportunities that Linfield provides, I tend to always say because of the history, and because they speak English, so I didn’t have to learn a new language. However, England English can be a lot different than American English, and even if you try to pretend you are English, people can easily tell you are American by the accent.

Yet, people love complementing American accents and love to ask you a bunch of questions on what America is like because what they know about America comes from movies. I have had to reassure people that college in America isn’t just one huge frat party like television portrays.

There is so much more I have learned and experience since being here and I had quite a eventful first week of school. Let’s just say culture shook is a real thing, so watch out for new entries  and I will update soon!

PS: Dorms are a lot smaller than what I am use to at Linfield but you do get your own bathroom and mini fridge so that’s a big win in my book.

Cierra

A classic red English telephone box against a brick wall on the side of the street.
Red Telephone Box